Finding a dentist “near me” in Austin, TX who cares about your whole health
The Austin, TX area is growing at an astounding rate. Most of the 110 or so (estimates vary) people who move into the area daily soon find themselves searching for a dentist “near me” to care for their teeth and the smiles of their families. This is a terrific time to consider a dentist who does more than fix teeth – one who practices in a manner that benefits your overall health and wellness.
Have you heard about holistic dentistry?
Sometimes called biological dentistry, this approach to oral care encompasses the health – physical and emotional – of the entire patient. At the core of holistic dentistry is a commitment to mercury-free fillings and safe removal of mercury-laden amalgam. However, the concept goes much further, striving for the safest possible materials and techniques in every treatment.
Holistic vs. traditional dentistry
When you see a holistic dentist, it is not an “either/or” choice between traditional dentistry and progressive thinking. Dr. Cole is a holistic practitioner and a member of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. He utilizes the healthiest aspects of conventional dentistry, often combining those techniques with alternative methods. His goal is to first, cause no harm; second, prevent dental disease; and third to accurately diagnose and treat oral problems early – thereby maintaining bodily health and emotional balance. As a holistic dentist, Dr. Cole may use natural therapies, and advice on preventive care beyond teeth and gums – nutrition, lifestyle habits, and more. He takes time to understand your overall health status and medical history, then explains the risks and potential benefits of treatment to help you make informed decisions. Working closely with your other healthcare providers promotes an integrated strategy for resolving issues and maintaining optimal wellness.
How does dental care affect health?
For a very long time, medical culture in the United States viewed the mouth as a separate entity from the rest of the body. In truth, everything that enters the mouth in some way influences the entire body. After all, the oral cavity is a portal for everything from food to microbial infection. The reverse is also true – medical conditions have a tremendous bearing on oral health.
- Diabetes – It is more difficult for individuals with periodontal disease to control blood sugar levels. Likewise, uncontrolled diabetes increases the risk of developing gum disease.
- Heart disease and stroke – Pathogens that cause gum disease enter the bloodstream, triggering systemic inflammation that promotes cardiovascular disease.
- HIV – The first symptoms often present in the mouth.
- Low birthweight babies – Bacterial infections release toxins in a woman’s bloodstream that cross into the placenta, potentially producing an inflammatory response that triggers dilation and contractions.
- Mental balance – Poor oral health affects self-esteem, social interaction, and intimate relationships.
- Nutrition – When teeth are compromised, it is tough to eat fresh produce, whole grains, lean proteins, and other foods that keep your body strong and functioning properly.
- Respiratory infections – Bronchitis, pneumonia, COPD, and other respiratory problems can occur from inhalation of fine droplets of saliva containing harmful oral bacteria.
What you can expect in the care of Dr. Cole
It is important to know that, because it is not an area of specialization defined by the American Dental Association, the philosophies and practice of holistic dentists vary a great deal. This is a good thing, allowing you to align with a practitioner who understands your concerns and goals, and offers appropriate treatment modalities.
You can expect your treatment at E. Griffin Cole, DDS, NMD to follow these core precepts:
- Unhurried, personal attention
- Comprehensive care from an experienced dentist recognized as a leader in biological dentistry, integrative care, and naturopathic medicine.
- A dedicated support team, hand-picked for their skills and passionate commitment to patient health.
- Leading edge diagnostic and treatment technologies.
- Mercury-free practice – no amalgam fillings placed.
- Mercury-safe amalgam removal (adhering to strict IAOMT protocols), with follow-up detoxification.
- Metal-free restoration options.
- Root canal therapy with ozone disinfection rather than harsh chemicals.
- Gentle ozone therapy for gum disease.
- Large, complex cases are welcome.